Sunday, 17 May 2015

10mm WW2 Russians!

My friend Grant kindly took up an airbrushing commission to paint some WW2 Russian tanks, so I figured some infantry and support weapons were in order!

I did sixteen bases of various infantry, but the above gives you a selection of what was done.  All are Pendraken miniatures, which I find the best for infantry.  I'm already working on more of these, as you get a ton of miniatures with just the starter set and a few packs of add-ons.  My only gripe is that the Russians don't get quite a breadth of range/poses as compared to the Germans say.  

I did the bases a bit differently from the Germans I completed a while ago.  Oh, and I used "the dip" for these and they turned out perfectly!  It's ideal for 10mm.

Forest for 6mm!

Inspired by a forest seen in the online magazine Warning Order, I had a go after speaking with the author.

It was quite a learning experience for me!  :-)

The base is laser-cut mdf from Kraken Skulls, with some 1/8" dowel from the local DIY store glued down with No More Nails.  I added in some various-sized gravel on the base while the glue was still wet.  When dry, I primed it and spray painted it brown.  I did a quick dry-brush of a lighter brown on the gravel and then used watered-down pva glue to add on some flock.  The hardest part was next.  The tree tops are clump foliage of three different colours mixed together.  I tried putting it on with spray adhesive, which worked ok.  Then I added in more with the pray in spots that needed it.  Then I used watered down pva to soak the foliage.

I think next time I will make the tree-tops by soaking them in pva separately from the base, shaping it generally.  It was a mess trying to do it on the base, and lots of the clumps fell off.

Yet More Terrain!

Another terrain piece finished!  This one is from Thomarillion, and is a hefty plaster-like bit of terrain that took a large chunk of mdf to base it on.

Like my older terrain, I went to town with the flock and other bits of detail.  It's my favourite part of terrain building and really makes the item come alive in my opinion!

Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Moria Goblins!

I did another dip session, this time on some Moria Goblins:

I've also been working on another terrain piece:

And something special for my blog visitors - a sneak peek at an unreleased miniature.  Hopefully she'll make an appearance in my next kickstarter:

The Daughter of Yog-Sothoth!!!  ;-)