Friday 22 June 2012

Hell House Review (Book and Movie)

A few weeks ago I was in the mood for a good haunted house story.  I remember watching The Legend of Hell House a while ago and thought I'd give the book a listen to since I liked the movie.  Hell House is a book by Richard Matheson, in which he spins the tale of four investigators and their experiences in "Hell House".

I really liked the audio book I downloaded on www.Audible.com, which had great narration.  The author really gets across the atmosphere and feeling of the haunted house very well, and throws a few twists in there to keep things going.  It kept my attention to the end, the only off-putting thing I can think of is the overly sexual nature in parts of the book.  However, I feel they are justified with the perverted background of the house and the owner (I won't spoil it for you - read it for yourself!). 




The movie that was made based on the book was The Legend of Hell House (1973).  I really enjoyed this movie when I watched it a few months ago, and I remember being scared and confused by it as a child.  The actors chosen for the characters were spot on, and it's always good to see Roddy McDowall perform!  The movie adaptation was very close to the book, and I felt that the movie makers really captured the feel and scariness of the book quite well.


No comments:

Post a Comment